Sibling Rivalry~ Ideas to help your kids stop fighting...

I know that this is the thing that drives us as moms crazy! Not only do I get mad when my kids fight, but it just drains the energy away from me and I feel helpless as a mom. I have recently broke down in tears after a particularly hard morning, so I decided to write down some of the thinks I have done in the past to not only help my children fight less, but help them understand that their actions are hurting others.

1. Stop the fight right away and ask your children to express how they are feeling calmly with their hands in their pockets.

2. Send them to the forgiving bench. On this bench there are strict rules:
- Only one person can talk at a time while the other one listens until they are DONE!
- The person talking has to start their turn by saying "I don't like it when..." or "You hurt my feelings when..."
- They have to find a solution that both of them are happy with and hug BEFORE they can get up from the bench.
- They BOTH have to say sorry to each other (hence the name, forgiving bench)

3. Make them hold hands and sing a song to you swaying back and forth! I know that sounds so stupid, but it really works, they feel silly so they can't help but smile. This works for my 10 year old son, he never wants to do it, so it's the best punishment for him!

4. Make them hug for 3 straight minutes! They will come away giggling. (although it doesn't solve any major problems, so I just use #3 and #4 for small fights)

Hope these can help you a little in your home. Let me know in a comment if you have some great ideas too!
post signature